Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hotter than me

Yesterday I had a 16mile run planned. However, like I said in my last post, we had some family in town and they were leaving that morning. I didn't know what time they were planning on heading out, so I decided to get up extra early to get this done.

The alarm went off at 5am and I jumped out of bed kind''ve excited. It's always awesome when you jump out of bed excited to go out for a run. It makes the whole thing worth it. I got all ready and headed downstairs to get something to eat. It then dawned on me to check out how light it was outside. It was still completely dark with no hint of sun. Bummer. The only thing my husband has ever asked me to do when it comes to running is to NOT run outside when it's dark and I am happy to comply. It's scary to run in the dark alone (esp. when you're a woman) even when you have all kinds of reflectors on you.

Anyways, I just hung out and let my stomach digest. I finally headed out a little before 6:30am. The temperature was 78* and the high for the day was 95*. I had to get going. I kept the 16miles as my goal and I started off on a 2 mile loop. I know... it sounds miserable, but it really isn't that bad for a loop. If I have to stop in at home to change layers or use the restroom I don't have far to go.

The best part about this run was this lady I passed a few times. She was walking with a friend and as I was passing them a 2nd time she yelled out: "you go girl!!" Awesome. It made me smile and I just kept on moving and feeling like I was on the top of the world.

At around 8 miles the heat was on and I was just sweating buckets- but I was maintaining my goal pace. So, instead of doing 16 miles, I decided to see if I could do a sub 2 hr half. I was so excited. My pace was consistent and I felt so strong. I love it when that happens. It was definitely a confidence booster!!

I was so stinking close!! I finished 13.1 in literally 2 hours flat! Ahh!! I have been stuck at like 2:02-2:06. I'm getting there though. So, overall, yesterday was great and I am very happy with it.

I meant to take a picture of myself when I was finished, however, when I got back to the house, everyone was around the table eating breakfast and I completely forgot. I will try to do better with pictures. Promise. That's my goal for the blog this week.

What inspiring things have helped you on long runs (like people yelling "you go girl" at you... not creepy pick up lines haha)?

No comments: