Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Frigid 5k!

Yesterday was the "frigid 5k" in Provo that '26.2 Running Company' put on (they weren't kidding when they named it frigid!! It was freezing!). It was the same course at the Fortune 5k. I won't lie- I was a little nervous. Not because of the distance, but because I had made the poor decision of doing a really intense weights workout this last Wednesday. I thought that there would be no way that I would still be sore by Saturday.

I was dead wrong.

The workout I did had millions of squats and lunges. Awful. I was just hurting! I had a hard time getting up stairs and things like that. Friday night, I was just praying that I would be able to get out of bed to the race.

Race morning came and I woke up thinking- I can do this! I got up, ate breakfast and got on the bike and spun a little to get the legs warm. I then stretched and then the nerves started to kick in. I was still having quite a bit of pain in my inner thighs. I had thoughts of not going, but I would feel guilty if I didn't run it because I paid money for this race.

I finally got the guts and headed out. I got there and checked in and headed to the starting line. The race was pretty good. The course had a few hills but wasn't too terrible. I could feel how sore I still was but I just kept saying my mantra of "I am awesome". Okay... I know, totally lame! But really, mantras help a lot! It keeps you going and let be honest... I start laughing to myself when I say it sometimes because it sounds ridiculous- but when I laugh, I just feel way better and I feel like I can keep going!

I finished this race in 25:39!! This is the best I have done post foot surgery! I am so excited! I finished 4th in my age group too! Heh, okay.. woo.. 4th... but I still got a ribbon :-) And... the age group was weird.. 0-30 instead of splitting it up a little more. So, that's still good, right?

I apologize, no pictures. We forgot the camera- oops! Just remember, if I had stopped to go back to get the camera, I might've chickened out and not done the race! :-) I like having 5ks in my marathon training schedule. It helps me get a feel for where I'm at.

I am awesome. haha.

No comments: