Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Thursdays are my favorite :-)

First things first- thanks everyone for their awesome comments on the 2 years later post!  I have been meaning to do that post for a long time- just never did it.  Anyways, seriously though, yal are rock stars and I really appreciate the support!

Okay, I know it's Friday and Friday is another favorite day of mine... but I am talking about Thursday today :-)  Jon has been traveling a lot for work recently.  His schedule goes like this... gets up early Monday morning and goes to the airport and doesn't get home until late Thursday night.  So, Thursdays I wake up totally excited!  Sounds a little school-girl-ish but whatever.  I don't care.  

The fact that he is coming home makes everything better.  Even my workouts.  I  know... weird.  I spent about 50 minutes on the elliptical yesterday.  I did an IFitLive workout by Jillian Michaels.  Holy crud... talk about a sweat fest!  Thank goodness that I do this in my own home... I don't want anyone to have to witness the ridiculousness!  Haha... I thought about taking my picture, but I decided against it.  You already got an elliptical picture from me earlier this week :-).

Then came dinner.  Since I am home alone most nights, dinner has become my time to try new things or branch out and learning on how to cook a dinner in smaller portions.  So today, I am sharing with you one of my absolute favorites.  It's a recipe I took out of a book and I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

I give unto you....

SKINNY-DOWN ENCHILADAS!  (okay... so that's not what the book calls it... but I figured by adding the word 'skinny' to it... you might trust me? haha.. or you'd run away going "ew! it must be gross!)

I also added my favorite staple.  Broccoli.  I could eat broccoli all.day.long.  Seriously.  I probably eat like 2lbs of it per day!  Or more.... haha... ;-) My other fav: tomatoes!! Yum!!


 Recipe (single serving):

1 lg whole-grain tortilla (I use La Tortilla Factory Whole wheat low carb- only 80cal! Or you can use 2 small whole grain tortillas)
2oz grilled chicken
2 TB light cream cheese
2 TB green chilies
4 TB green enchilada sauce
2 TB mozzarella cheese  

my addition: 2C steamed broccoli and 1/2 tomato hehe

Dice chicken.  In a bowl, mix cream cheese and green chilies together.  Spread cream cheese mixture onto tortilla and add 2TB green enchilada sauce, diced chicken and 1TB mozzarella cheese; roll tortilla up tightly.  In small pan cover with tin foil sprayed with cooking spray, place tortilla in pan and top with remaining 2 TB enchilada sauce and remaining 1TB cheese.  Cover with tinfoil to keep moist.  Bake in oven at 375 for 20 mins or until edges are crispy.  *mine usually only takes 15 mins*

I can't tell you how delicious this is- and healthy!!  Oh- and for steaming broccoli.  I will share with you a tip I learned.  See, when I am cooking for a bunch of people I will get my steamer out and steam the veggies.  However, when it's just me... that's a lot of cleaning up to do for just one person.  So, cut up your broccoli and put them in ziplock bags!  Seal them except for like 3/4" and put it in the microwave for 2mins and voila.  Steamed veggies for cheap.  You don't need to add water or anything.  I sometimes add seasonings.. but I usually wait to add those when they're done.  Then *gasp* I throw out the ziplock.  Easy peasy.  I was washing out my ziplocks until it got ridiculous.  You don't need name brands for this... even the cheap stuff works  great!  So, save yourself some dishes and save some $ if you buy the frozen veggie steamer bags.

Then last night was the BYU vs. Florida game. I had to record it so we could watch it together when Jon got home (it was over by the time he got home and I had to stay away from FB so I wouldn't see scores!!) We are die hard BYU fans (it is our alma mater after all!)  So I decided to make some festive treats!  S'mores on a stick :-)  Took marshmallows and dipped them into melted dark chocolate and rolled them into crushed graham crackers.  Divine.  Oh, and I of course had to get blue and white jelly beans!!  


Then after eating this... I hoped on the bike and cycled about 10miles while watching the game :-)  Great game.  Sad we lost... but it was fun to watch it with the husband and be able to have an excuse to make some fun treats!!

No comments: